Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sick days

     Well yesterday was my first official sick day that I took as an actually working adult. And let me tell you, I don't like taking sick days. I hate inconveniencing other people or making their lives harder. So when I had to call in yesterday to let work know I couldn't come in it wasn't fun. Luckily the other math teacher at Portland is so unbelievably wonderful and took my kids without complaining.

     However, this left me sitting at home and not liking being idle. This is something I have issues with: resting. Growing up as the 2nd of 7 kids, there was always something to be done. So I got in the habit of always doing something, whether it was running to a practice or putting away dishes or bathing a younger sibling. So when it comes to days when I'm suppose to be doing something and can't, I get restless.

     While I have gotten a whole lot better at learning to be still and rest (thanks to college and Jared Grandlienard), God has still been teaching me how to be still. The verse that always comes to mind for me is Psalm 46:10
"Be still and know I am God". 
     This verse never ceases to stop me in my tracks and make me think. What does it mean to "be still"? At times it completely confuses me and I'm not even sure where to begin? But I think that's the beauty of this verse also, God is saying, "stop what you are doing, wherever you are, and remember who I AM. I am the great I AM. The beginning and the end, the alpha and the omega. Everything that is, has come into existence because of me. Remember who I am". It is such a humbling experience and such an amazing experience to remember who our God is.

I hope today you have some time to "Be still" and discover more of who God is. 



Happy Wednesday everyone :)

1 comment: